Monday 27 July 2015

Beyond Desolation

     So much has happened since I last posted here...
     Pete and I said goodbye to Pat and Betty. We were at Squirrel Cove, near Desolation Sound. Sorry, there is no Moose Cove nearby (my apologies to those unfamiliar with Rocky and Bulwinkle :)). Pat and Betty planned a few more days in the Desolation Sound area, and Pete and I were heading toward Hole-in-the-wall and Okisollo rapids; one of the routes to go "Beyond Desolation".


Betty took this sequence of images while Pete and I were sailing toward Gorge Harbour, BC. This is the way to travel!

Betty, Pete, me, and Pat at Gorge Harbour, BC tipping back a round of drinks. Thanks Pat.
     What a long sequence of goodbyes is has been. Doug Buster, my boss while of Health Dept. years ago arranged a goodbye lunch in May for our former co-workers there. We had a family BBQ in June to say goodbye. My niece, Lizze, asked me to take her and husband Chris out sailing. Co-workers from the Geological Survey dad a goodbye lunch for me at Oyster House. James and Becky met us in Gig Harbor for a wonderful goodbye lunch the next day. We said our goodbyes to Pat and Betty about a week ago
Lizze and Chris aboard Cygnus in Budd Inlet, Washington

.
     Yesterday Pete and I said goodbye for now. He decided that it was necessary to attend to home and family in Quesnel, BC. So, yesterday I watched Pete board a bus out of Port MeNeill. This was very sad and difficult, but I accept that Pete is doing the right thing for himself. I will sail the west coast of Vancouver Island without his wonderful company. With luck we will meet up again when I reach Tofino or Ucluelet.
     I learned yesterday that cruising is about unexpected meetups as well as goodbyes. Greg Larson, a former co-worked from Health Dept. (who was at the goodbye lunch mentioned above), and his wife Heather sailed their C&C sailboat into Port MeNeill. It was good to see a friendly face in an (almost exotic) foreign port.
     Along the way Pete and I made a wonderful passage of the notorious (for high winds in the wrong direction) Johnstone Strait. This took 3 days, but we had some almost good weather for it. One stop was at Helmcken Island. This is right in the middle of Johnstone Strait, an unexpected place for a beautiful anchorage. Pete tried a little fishing for rockfish, but they were having none of that.
The view from our anchorage at Helmcken Island

Pete angling for rockfish
     I have just a couple more errands here at Port McNeill. Then it will be over to the fuel dock to top off the diesel. Then head toward the west coast. I expect to round Cape Scott Wednesday or Thursday if the weather holds...

No comments:

Post a Comment