Tuesday 8 December 2015

Los Angeles

Sorry, my posts are a little late in coming. I will attempt to get the blog back to real time soon. This post is about a day trip I took from Long Beach to Los Angeles the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

I went to see the Getty art museum. This took quite a lot of public transportation to get from Long Beach and back. The first light rail line ran through Compton and Watts. Later, the bus routes took me through Beverly Hills and Bel Air. Quite a day of contrasts. Every light post in Beverly Hills was decorated for Christmas with a colorful banner reading "Joy to the Hills". I noticed this at the famous intersection of Wilshire Blvd and Rodeo Dr. I always thought it went "Joy to the world". Apparently if you live in Beverly Hills the joy of the rest of the world is irrelevant. Hmmm.

The Getty was well worth the trouble. This is the best art museum I have ever seen. It is set on a hill top overlooking Santa Monica Bay and downtown Los Angeles. The views and architecture are stunning. The art collection is even better. I have pictures of a few samples below.
The main entrance to the Getty

A Van Gogh

A Monet

A statue of Mercury

No comments:

Post a Comment